Friday, February 22, 2008

The Life of Study

Going back to the classroom is a strange yet invigorating feeling. Strange because I'm in the world of books, notes, lectures and homework again. Invigorating because I am learning things about Scripture and ministry that I have never known before. It is a stretching, challenging and wonderful time. My professors are extremely knowledgeable and caring. I am encouraged by my classmates' passion for learning.

Just as I had hoped, a fascinating aspect to my studies is the filter through which I apply newly acquired knowledge. I can see through the lens of my experiences in Japan. I am better able to understand what we did well, what could use improvement, and what we need to change completely. Even this is a simplistic explanation, but point is that I have a filter that gives significant meaning to the courses I am taking, and for that I am extremely thankful. Once again, here is a list of my courses this semester:

Introduction to Graduate Studies
This course is designed to introduce the basic tools of theological research and to promote the basic writing skills necessary for the presentation of scholarly research. I can't imagine taking graduate courses without first acquiring these tools. It has been extremely helpful for research and writing.

Advanced Introduction to New Testament
Special introduction to the books of the New Testament. At this point we have explored Mark, Matthew, Luke, Acts, I & II Thessalonians and I & II Corinthians. The rich background material of these books illuminates these beloved works that we have based our lives on.

Narrative Evangelism
This course provides a theological orientation to the task of evangelism. The class builds on the assumption that the gospel has certain instincts with regard to evangelism and its interaction with culture. Special attention is given to the implications of gospel and culture for the presentation of the gospel.

As some of you may have heard, Erica is now working in as an Administrative Assistant in the Graduate School of Theology. She is really loving her work (and doing a great job, too!). We are so thankful to God for providing in this way!

I am also a part of a Wednesday night Japanese Bible study that Erica Towell, Jonathan and Michiko Straker are also a part of. There have been about 10 Japanese students that attend each week. We are studying the major covenants that God makes with the Israelites in the Old Testament.


Holy Father, we praise you for who you are. Thank you for your matchless love and for your kingdom. Thank you for Jesus and for your church.
Be glorified as we follow the guidance of your Holy Spirit and are faithful to the gifts and calling that you have given us.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: