Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The One has become Two, and the Two have become One

Different cultures think about the concept of TIME in different ways. In general, Chinese people have a past-orientation when it comes to time. For them, all the great achievements of the world occurred in their history. Also broadly speaking, Mexican people view the world with a present-orientation. This means that more than the past or the future, events that are occurring RIGHT NOW hold the most meaning for them. There are other cultures, such as that of North Americans, who live in the world with a view of time that focuses on the future. We are always looking forward to something, or making plans for some event that has yet to happen. We find it difficult to enjoy the present, and we're constantly told NOT to live in the past. "Time" is a fascinating subject (to me, anyway).
As time passes, it invariably carries CHANGE in its luggage. Allow me to unpack two of those big changes in my life.

The first change is that "the one has become two." My first year as a graduate student studying MISSIONS has come to a close, and I am now beginning my second year. It's hard to believe. This first year in the program has been fantastically challenging and formative. I find myself full of hope as this year begins. My classes are: 1) Theology of Mission, 2) Growth Strategies for Established Churches, and 3) Field Education. In addition, Erica and I will again join the Japanese student Bible study group that meets every Wednesday.

The second, and most exciting change, is that "the two have become one." Erica and I were married this past December 27th in the Prayer Chapel at York College! It was a perfect day, surrounded by family and close friends. Joel Osborne performed our ceremony, which, if I may say, was absolutely beautiful. We hope to make pictures available for people to look at as soon as possible. We want to solicit your prayers as we begin this journey together. We know that it is because of our God, families, friends, and faith community that we have made it this far, and hope that all of you will continue to pray for our marriage even as we are praying for yours.

Finally, know that we are continuing to pray about returning to Japan. Our vision for mission work in Japan is continually shaped and refined as we keep praying and studying. And this is how it should be. Incarnational and cruciform living is far from easy, but it will always be worth the effort. And it is always TIME for us to submit to God and to CHANGE. In this new year, I hope we will all commit to that, together.

Blessings,
Ben
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Sit-N-Chat said...

Submitting to God is the kind of change I can go for. Glad to find your blog. I am learning since the fall to actually blog though I've had one just for sharing pics with extended family for a couple of years.
I'll visit again some time.