Sunday, November 11, 2007

"A Furlough Note"

The streets and lawns of York lie beneath a blanket of gold. The colors, the smells, the weather and the feelings of this season fall upon my shoulders lightly, like the arm of a good friend. I am content and full of thankfulness. It has been a wonderful furlough thus far. My travels over the past month have taken me through Texas, Washington, Ontario, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Time with friends and family has been rich. Though sharing about what God has done through us in Sendai is often difficult to fully explain, many people have been eager to listen, to encourage, and to continue to catch the vision for sharing the gospel with the Japanese. What a blessing.

Several people have asked if I've felt any reverse culture shock. The answer is "yes," and "it's coming." Although it hasn't been bad, there are times where can tell how much I have adjusted to life in Japan and that I will need to re-adjust to communication styles and patterns here in North America. Trusted mentors have shared with us that reverse culture shock is more difficult that "regular" culture shock. I'm not really looking forward to that, but knowing that it's coming is half the battle. And culture shock really isn't that bad when you are with loving and trusted friends, sharing life over a cup of hot java!

Today I will be traveling from York to Hastings, Nebraska. Tomorrow I will teach a class and preach/report on the Sendai work. From there I'll head to Bettendorf, Iowa to see family and report to another congregation. After about 10 days I'll travel up to Janesville, Wisconsin and then on to Woodbury, Minnesota. I'll then hop in the car and scoot on down to Longmont, Colorado to pick up Erica and we will make our way down to Abilene, Texas. Whew! Please pray for my safety in all of these travels.

Prayer Requests
a. Travel & Reporting: Please pray for safe travels and that I can clearly communicate to supporters what the Lord has been doing through us in Japan.
b. Debi & Sasha: Debi is teaching kindergarten in Sendai and Sasha is settling into life in Japan. Please pray for them in this transition, that God will strengthen and encourage their hearts.
c. Jon, Michiko & Hijiri: They will be in Abilene the 16th of this month. Pray that God will help them transition to a new life in Texas, and that He will guide them with wisdom and bless them with joy and strength.
d. Erica: Ask God to bless, renew and empower Erica. Petition the Father that He will help her in her work and use her as salt and light in the work place. Pray that He will prepare her heart and her family for her move to Texas.
e. Joel: Petition God for peace and safety for Joel. May the rest of his time State-side be blessed, and may God use his time of Asia-based training to bless the nations.
f. Crimsen: May God be her constant rock of strength and salvation. Pray for her mother's health and recovery. Pray for continual encouragement of the Spirit and for God to be glorified in their lives.
g. Sendai People: Pray that God will give the wisdom and guidance of His Holy Spirit to the Christians in Sendai. May he strengthen them in their inner spirit. May He use them to His great glory. And pray for the non-Christians as they continue to seek the God who seeks them.
h. Financial & Prayer Support: Many of you understand that the mission God has called us to in Japan is not finished. This period of study and training is simply a part of the whole. For that reason I'm requesting that people and churches will continue their faithful prayer and financial support. I praise God for all of you who have supported me through these years ... you know that our work in the Lord has not been in vain! Thank you. Our God is so awesome and faithful. Pray that people, and that may include yourself, will continue to partner with me to extend the gospel to the beautiful unreached of Japan.
i. Graduate School: Please pray for me as I will be transitioning from full time ministry to student life. I will be beginning a 54 hour Masters of Missions this coming January.

1 comment:

bob said...

We are very excited to have you guys here in just a few short weeks. Enjoy the rest of furlough!