Friday, September 14, 2007

GRE: Guiling Recondite Examination

Recently released research indicates that studying for the GRE is not as thrilling as some in nerdy circles have assumed it to be. It is simply noisome. Well, it may not be that bad, but for one who hasn't had his nose in any book besides something relating to Japan, the Bible, or Harry Potter for the past few years it's acting like a soporific agent upon my mental faculties.

Therefore, I have decided to take a short break and share with you a sampling of the vocabulary with which these GRE test makers delight in torturing us with.

LACONIC

MISANTHROPE


DESICCATE

ameliorate

INCHOATE


panegyric

RECALCITRANT


eRsAtZ

PUSSILLANIMOUS

Well ... how'd it go? If you know at least one of those monsters up there, I'd say you're doing pretty well (sorry if I underestimated you!). I surely don't pretend to have mastered all these words yet. Let me tell you, still remaining are copious amounts of vocab to cram into my cranium. My test date is set for three weeks from today. Still to be studied: the quantitative and analytical test sections. Maybe I'll give you sampling of those too, when I get there. Are you agog at the prospect?!

1 comment:

Judith said...

Ganbatte on your studies!
I looked up those words and found them all except PUSSILLANIMOUS. What does it mean?